Hand Lettering Resources
Today I wanted to share one of my favorite online resources for learning new skills and create a 'course guideline' for anyone wanting to learn hand lettering and calligraphy.
Hand lettering is really hot right now and while there are lots of in person workshops that are great to attend, they can often be expensive or not at a location near to you. Thus lots of people are turning to online sources to learn their lettering. Navigating these options can be tough too as there are SO many. These online courses are usually broken down into easier to digest skills, but that sometimes leaves you wondering what you should learn next. I've also seen a few bigger courses that offer a range of topics all rolled into one program. These are excellent classes taught by some of the top teachers, but they can be expensive.
I thought about doing one of these big programs until I realized I probably already had that information right at my fingertips with Skillshare and paying way less. Skillshare is an online platform where anyone can teach projects, but they also have a lot of big names in the art and design industry. I've put together a list of classes from Skillshare that I would recommend if you're looking for a well-rounded education and skills for hand lettering but don't know where to start with all the options. I haven't taken all of these classes myself, but I believe from the reviews and videos that they are quality classes.
- Fundamentals of Drawing Letters with Andrea Campos
- The First Steps of Hand-Lettering: Concept to Sketch (Lettering I) with Mary Kate McDevitt
- Brush Lettering Made Simple with Andrea Campos
- Bounce Letters: Adding Character to Your Hand Lettering with Teela Cunningham
- Calligraphy I: Writing in Classic Modern Script with Bryn Chernoff
- Calligraphy II: Finding Your Personal Script Style with Bryn Chernoff
- Waterbrush Lettering Essentials with Teela Cunningham
- Chalkboard Lettering: Add Charm to Your Home with Lauren Hom
- Calligraphy III: Experimenting with Layouts, Surfaces and Digitization with Bryn Chernoff
- Paper to Digital: Create Your Own Hand Drawn Font with Jenn Coyle
In person Lettering Resources in Atlanta
Anne Elser teaches a few different calligraphy classes around Atlanta and online. She is the calligraphy queen! I took her Copperplate Calligraphy 2 day workshop, which is a great intro to calligraphy. Her website isn't always up to date, so you may have to email her about current classes: http://annepages.blogspot.com/
Garage Door Studio near Decatur often has a shorter modern calligraphy classes: http://garagedoorstudio.com/takeaclass/
ATLphabet is a chill monthly meetup of people who like to do lettering and calligraphy in Atlanta. It's not a class, but a time for people with similar interests to hang out, letter and learn from each other: https://www.instagram.com/atlphabet/
Thanks, I hope you enjoy and learn a lot!
*Some links on this page are affiliate links...if you sign up via my link I get a month free.